My entire life changed this year and I'm so thankful for all of the good, and all of the bad.


How many mistakes have you made this year, how many times did you care? I know I’ve made many and I’ll be the first to admit that, and I am proud of my mistakes this year. Whether it’s telling my friends the truth about how I feel about them, asking a girl for her phone number knowing I could easily get rejected, or even failing to continue a conversation a second time with Rachel Zoe. These aren’t even examples of what has happened to me, they are the truth and they aren’t even half of what I’ve been through. It’s been much more, and every single one mistake or damage I have made, makes me a better person inside and out.
The truth is you can’t go through this life without making mistakes, because mistakes teach you and guide you on your next adventure in life. I remember back in September during New York City Fashion Week S/S 2015, I was at Kelly Cutrone’s party with my boss Eila and one of her family members. I made my way to the party location, I’m not totally sure if it was on Grand Street or Canal Street, but the location was definitely a subway ride. When I got to the party I met up with Eila and after checking with People’s Revolution to check my name off the list, we both made our way into the venue up the stairs. I was asked not to take pictures and to enjoy the party, which I gladly did.
In the past I would stay with Eila and walk around with her, but I wanted to make my way around the party on my own. This was all about me building my self-esteem up by talking and meeting new people. Ok and once I did, I was stuck in a corner; I didn’t even know what to do. I tried walking around in the massive crowd of people but ended up freezing and not knowing what to say or even how to start a conversation. I’m only 22, I’m not famous, and I was pretty sure I was the only one at this event who felt out of place. I was thinking that maybe I should start to fake it, to make it, but I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t last long. Telling someone I work for Nylon or Boohoo wouldn’t get me far but a laugh.
Just by looking at everyone I could tell everyone knew they belonged, who was there, and wasn’t alone. I ended up going in circles and standing around by the clothing rack on the left side of the open bar. I few moments later and older lady walked by me and stood on the right side of the clothing rack by me. A few moments after she reached for the clothes hanging by her side I asked for her name and if she was having fun. It wasn’t that hard to start a conversation, it just took me awhile to build up confidence to talk to someone. And I did. The lady and I were talking and getting to know each other minute by minute. She told me how she works next store and knows the owner of the vintage store the party was held at, I told her about my dreams and how I am trying to follow them at fashion week.
She immediately told me how awesome and cool she thought it was of my trying to follow my dreams, even while I was shy and hesitant; it took a lot for me to make an effort at a party with industry people and celebrities around me so it was very cool hearing my hard work is being noticed. She even liked my follow your dreams social project the most. She then told to me to keep up my work, and don’t worry about my mistakes. Because my mistakes will teach me better things, and well she was right. Her advice was more than just advice, it’s something that I will keep very close to my heart and mind. I’m thankful that I was shy around everyone at the party, but more proud that I made an effort after.


Thanks for reading everyone
Be sure to follow me following my dreams

Facebook & Instagram

Mahipal SoCal & @mahipal_socal

Comments

Popular Posts