The Fashion Institute of Technology w/ Lisa Petronaci Kesselman



In New York, fashion becomes the popular trade of the city from who’s wearing what, to what store has the newest new, to the popular New York Garment District. Lisa Petronaci Kesselman, knows the best of the best around especially coming from one of New York’s leading schools FIT – The Fashion Institute of Technology.

After meeting Lisa in New York, I was able to have a chat with her and catch up on her doings. Let’s start this off. “What is your perspective to teach the fundamentals of your course to learning college students?”


“When teaching the Tools of the Trade Trimmings and Bindings course at FIT NY it can be both very daunting and exciting at the same time. Because it is an elective course and not a requirement, you know that the students enrolled are truly interested in what you have to offer them, so you need to make the class as interesting as possible. They have taken other courses in the series that relate to my class, so my goal is to build on what they have learned, but also open their eyes to the beauty they can create with a trim.” 


“A trim that is designed by them, with their fabric and is only for them. This makes for a class that is exciting because it is the one area the designer can be truly creative without causing tremendous strains on their budgets. I love teaching this class, because when a young designer really sees the full potential of what their designs can become, it's really an amazing thing.”

“What you want your students to learn from you and your classes?”

“The main thing I want them to learn in my class, is how to properly speak to their contractors. We know the lingo and a lot of designers don't, which can put them at a disadvantage and in some cases have contractors take advantage of the designer’s lack of knowledge. So I do stress the language of production in both trims and garments. Another aspect of the business I want them learn, is how to figure goods needed to make their particular trim.”

“Very important in the controlling of the wastage of fabric and the controlling of their budgets. And finally, to realize they are only limited by their imagination. Again, because my class is an adult education class, the students really have free will to use that imagination. There isn't box to fit into. And isn't that what designing is truly about?”

“What made you want to teach and how did you get started?”

“I have so much information stored up in this brain of mine, 30 years’ worth and it has been just busting to get out. What I hope they learn from me is to never give up. Each failure leads to a success.”

“I have always wanted to teach. Fortunately or unfortunately I was sidetracked by a little thing called the Fashion Industry. As we all know, this industry is all consuming. Once it has its claws in you, you cannot seem to escape. I've tried, believe me, but there is something about it that always drew me back in. So that being the case, and me always having this dream to teach, why not merge the 2.”

“I have the best of both worlds. I am thoroughly entrenched in this wonderful industry and I get to do what I love in conjunction with that. I don't know if I would've gotten there if I hadn't first embarked on this journey through fashion. But I am so blessed that I did get here from there!”

“What is your dream?”

“My dream.......well I have to say I am living it as we speak! I couldn't ask for a better life than what I have now!”

For more information on how you can enroll to The Fashion Institute of Technology check out their site at www.fitnyc.edu


Thanks for reading everyone
Be sure to follow me following my dreams

Facebook & Instagram
Mahipal SoCal - @mahipalsocal

Comments

Popular Posts