Russell Simmons


Run’s House – Rev Run was always just one of those shows that you couldn’t get away from. I mean have you seen it? It wasn’t about partying, drugs, fame, or jersey show. It was about just one family with love, joy, and a lot of funny sides to them that made us all laugh. Seeing his show in person felt more inspiring then watching him on TV.
Meeting call was 7pm for the interview while show time was for 8pm. I made sure to get there on time! As I made my way from Lincoln Center all the way downtown to west 25th street I took the subway to 24th street area and walked the rest. While I was walking I was able to take in the beautiful city of New York. Everything I saw was lovely from the colorful flowers, the trees, sidewalk art, buildings, or even the cars – it was all New York something you can’t find anywhere else. Even when the cars honked it was a New York kind of honk.
After 18 minutes of walking around asking people for directions I finally found the venue for Russell Simmons show. I was happy feeling not a thing can go wrong. I was only 14 minutes late but hey, I made it! As I made my way to the door I felt really powerful to say that I was shooting for RUNWAY Magazine, not many people can say that. I walked up to the tall dark man in the black suit and told him my name, who I was with, and what firm. He told me that I wasn’t on the list and couldn’t get in but she was. This felt weird because it really doesn’t matter along as the person you’re with says you’re with them then it should be good. So I waited for her outside and until she got there. After 30 minutes I got bored and didn’t want to mess up so I went back to the tall dark man and told him I was with her so I should be able to get in, he leaned in toward me and said she didn’t have any other people with her on the list. He then went back to work. Seriously?!

I tried to contact her and no response, I was thinking shit, I messed up. I can’t get in, no phone call or anything. An hour and a half went by and still nothing and the show was getting packed. It was turning to 8:30 and that was when I saw her inside and her aunt. I turned around when the guy wasn’t looking and ran to her aunt in a scared face. I felt I just messed up the whole show because I wasn’t there for the interview. I told her I couldn’t get in and tried calling, she told me Eila didn’t have her phone and to go find her. So as I did I did feel proud to sneak into a show at fashion week and also found a spot right by 50cent where I could take pictures at for the show. As the show went on I had some great shots, but couldn’t help but to think what Eila was thinking knowing I wasn’t there or anything. I felt scared actually. After the show I ran to her and she said “There you are” with a big smile on her face. I told her how the guy wouldn’t let me in for over an hour and she replied back with comfort with her hands on my cheeks saying it’s fine, relax my phone wasn’t with me. I felt so much better. She told me to stay for the after party and enjoy myself which I did. And over all, it wasn’t a bad day at all.

Thanks for reading everyone
Be sure to follow me chasing my dreams for more updates 

Facebook & Instagram
Mahipal SoCal & @mahipal_socal

Comments

Popular Posts