That's the fashion world, its crazy.


I found myself struggling with who I was, what I wanted to be in life, and what I wanted out of my life. At the time I was in school for Fashion and Retail Management for two years at the Art Institute of York, PA (August 2010 – June 2012) and while my time there I started to get really bored and unfocused in all my classes. In between studying for test till 2 in the morning with coffee in my hand, cutting pictures out and putting together a book for a homework assignment for class the next day at 4am it was hard for me to remotely gain any interest in what I was doing. I couldn’t see myself working inside a store all day getting paid just to help people pick out clothes and fold them when they were a mess. I couldn’t do that. I always had an image of myself living in Los Angeles and become successful with what I wanted to do and just being really happy in life. I didn’t feel happy while I was going to school for retail. I was still lost with who I was and what I wanted to do. So it was always hard for me to find myself.

When I had free time I found interest with uploading fashion pictures on my Facebook page. It wasn’t anything special and I wasn’t looking to gain any attention by any of my friends from uploading pictures, but it surprisingly did. I would go on Google and upload pictures that were all fashion related and a lot of people would give me feedback with liking a picture or either commenting on them. I looked at all of this and thought to myself and said, “All I am doing is uploading pictures and getting responses from everyone, this is awesome.” I later then created an album for all the pictures and titled it “That’s the fashion world, its crazy.” I would upload pictures at least 1 or 5 at a time and would do this every other day or every other three days. I started to get the hang of this and realized all I was doing was a marketing frenzy. It was at the same time when I came across my first fashion blog, “Shervins World.” All this person was doing was taking pictures of herself and others and people were responding, that’s so cool and I wanted to do the same.

I wanted to put myself out there so someday I could find a job in the fashion world out on the west coast. I didn’t just want to go to school I wanted to stand out and be different then the next person. So in February of 2012 I started to build a portfolio and ask a lot of my friends on Facebook if I can use their pictures for my work to chase my dream from New York to Los Angeles, and everyone was okay with it and said yes! New York was the closest city to me so I thought I could start there with finding a job then head out to Los Angeles after. So I began by taking my friends pictures off of their Facebook pages and turning them into fashion advertisements and later I started to take pictures of my friends on my own and do photo shoots and turn them into fashion advertisements or even magazine articles. A few months later I called my work Mahipal SoCal turned it into a blog to show case all my work. That way people can find my work easier, I even made a like page where people can follow my work and portfolio. As the months went by I started to see I was getting so much traffic through my work and began to realize I was working with something that can become full time. I started to realize this is what I wanted to do – a lot of marketing and fashion blogging. I wanted to become a fashion blogger but more importantly, I wanted to make a difference in the fashion world. So I stuck with the name Mahipal SoCal and took the blog more seriously.

I later transferred to a school for fashion marketing, The Art Institute of Philadelphia, PA. I began covering Philadelphia Fashion Week and created a few social projects. I started to build a name for myself and an image that was different then the other fashion bloggers. The social project I created was “Follow your dreams.” My life changed and who I was became more noticeable to me and I started to become happier in life. I was chasing my dream to live in Los Angeles not searching for a job, but to be able to fashion bog out there. So at the same time while I was chasing my dream, I wanted to inspire others to chase their dreams too. So I took an empty board in my college dorm and wrote ‘Follow Ur Dreams” on it, once I had a picture of me holding it, I posted it to Facebook and everyone fell in love it with. As I was walking down the streets of Philadelphia late one night with my friends we all were hanging out and taking some pictures, we stopped by a church and took some pictures and the same time a lady walked by and stopped to talk to us. She asked me what we were doing and about my sign. I told her my story and how I am chasing my dream to LA and I asked her if she wanted to hold my sign, she said sure. I took the picture and she told me her dream was to be cured of cancer. I thought to myself, wow that’s such an amazing story. I later had the idea of having more strangers hold the sign and tell me their dreams and do the same with their picture on Facebook; the response was awesome.


A few months later someone who worked with Project Runway picked up my work. We did a photo shoot in NY and she later asked me if I wanted to work with her during fashion week. I didn’t know much about fashion but I was sure willing to learn. It wasn’t until my second season at New York City Fashion Week where I took some pictures of a lady with a handkerchief around her neck, a multi-colored handkerchief. Her name goes by Leandra Medine. I really didn’t know much about her or that was a fashion blogger (which later I found out) all I knew was she was front row at fashion week wearing a multi-colored handkerchief around her neck. I later saw her picture online and was like, “Oh wow, I took that lady’s picture.” So I began to do research on her and found out she too is also a fashion blogger. Who’s sitting front row at fashion week and is very known! I did more searching and came across some interviews and articles and saw she also started her work as a portfolio to help her get a job which turned into something that she has taken on as an everyday thing and she has a unique way of expressing her blog. “The ManRepeller.” 

         Reading her blog and why she names it The ManRepeller and what it means says a lot about her and how she has become so successful. To me it’s such a special blog and meaning which surrounds her image all together. Her bog is about what women love and that men hate. I love the advice she gives women, it refines fashion and how women think to dress for themselves and not for what men think. The blogging world will always be around and being a successful fashion blogger won’t come easy. You need to refine your skills and talent and figure out what you want to sell.

Thanks for reading everyone.
Be sure to follow me chasing my dreams for more updates.

Facebook & Instagram
Mahipal SoCal & @mahipal_socal

Comments

Popular Posts