A creative person without a sense of humor has a serious problem.


You could always be creative and become successful at what you do without having a sense of humor. But being creative at what you do and adding a sense of humor, makes success warmer. I always love to add humor to any situation because it makes things more fun. I don’t take myself seriously, as I think no one should take their selves seriously either. I remember being in class one day and having to present my final presentation to my teacher, fellow students, as well as a few industry people around the Philadelphia area. It was the last day of our class for that semester and it was my turn to go.

We had to explain our store, fixtures, furniture, advertisements in the store, clothing racks, and more. My store I decided to do was based around a SoCal feeling – beaches, water, summer, surfing, and all that. Once I went through my whole presentation, I looked at the teacher and all the girls in the class and clicked on a secret link I added just for my project. It was a song I added to play loud and entertain everyone on surprise – Californian Waiting by Kings of Leon. It was random, funny, and everyone laughed. I received a high B in the class, I don’t think the song helped, but it sure did put a smile on people’s faces along with a chuckle. 


We’ve got a dollar, we got a dollar, we got a dollar, hey hey hey! Okay, this isn’t the Little Rascals and we all don’t have a dollar. But if you know Peter Davis, I’m sure he has some cotton candy, cotton candy, cotton candy, hey hey hey! It’s his favorite food! Peter Davis who is the Group Executive Editor at The Daily Front Row has a love for cotton candy and fashion. Peter is a very good friend of mine and the other day he answered some questions about his life, food, and other fun things. He has a warm kind heart and a good sense of humor and it shows through his work ethics and personality.  I think one of the coolest things about working with a magazine is you are producing content for others to view. If you’re in charge, you’re the one who says what content goes and what content stays. One thing about magazines is you can’t put what goes on TV inside a magazine issue, the TV will already be talking about it. However, during New York City Fashion Week, The Daily Front Row is all about it!
“I never actually wanted to work in fashion or media at all. I was a painting major at Bennington and had aspirations to get into NYU film school and paint and make movies. But I interned as a teenager at Paper magazine and fell in love with everything they did. They let me write, style and I even modeled in the magazine a few times. Paper's founders David Hershkovits and Kim Hastreiter are my mentors and close friends. They hired me right after college to do a monthly column and from that I got writing gigs right away from Vogue, Vanity Fair and other places. My advice: intern at Paper.”
You said you interned/worked with a few magazines such as Vogue and Paper and more, what did you do during your time with such magazine(s) and what did you learn from your experience? “Being a freelance writer does not make you rich but the stuff you get to do on the job is worth more than gold. I hung out with Gwen Stefani and listened to her sound check for a Paper cover, had lunch with Valentino in his apartment on Fifth Avenue for The Daily (a very fancy lunch I should add) and flew to Beijing for a Fendi show on the Great Wall. Pretty rad, right?”
If you’re young and want to follow your dreams here is something that Peter wants you all to learn and know. “Whenever I speak to students I tell them the same thing: be nice to everyone. You never know who someone is or who they will be and being a snob is so tacky anyway. I truly loathe snobs more than anything. Plus being nice to everyone you meet makes like much easier and way more fun.”
I always have to ask this questions, what is your favorite food and pizza topping? “Cotton candy is my favorite food. I will never turn up a fresh cone of cotton candy (or candy floss as they call it in England). I am pretty simple with pizza - I like pepperoni. Mozza in LA has some chic chi toppings on their pizza and when I'm in Hollywood I always go there.” What are your dreams? “Short-ish term? Finish my darn book (hopefully my agent is reading this now) and have a kid - or two kids. Both are in my two-year plan. And buying a building with a friend in Brooklyn. I have my work cut out for me in the next 24 months!” And of course, your favorite movie that you have seen all time? “Good Fellas is my all-time favorite movie, but I can watch some goofy things over and over like Liquid Sky, Valley Girl and the best-worst movie of all time Showgirls.” Thanks for taking your time talking with me Peter, I’ll see you soon buddy!

Thanks for reading everyone
Be sure to follow me following my dreams

Facebook & Instagram
Mahipal SoCal & @mahipal_socal

Comments

Popular Posts