Happy Halloween and growing up with diversity.



I love every holiday and try to celebrate every holiday to the best of my ability because life is too short. In regards to Halloween number one I like to send out cards, I'm pretty old-fashioned I like to send cards along with now of course they have e-cards to friends and family. Then of course I like to call my close group of friends to figure out what we got going on for options we will either go to a house party or in the past I have been to the Playboy mansion for a Halloween party or a club in Hollywood California or possibly go trick-or-treating with a friends kids if I have the opportunity to sneak some candy from them I'll do that to you. 
First things first you have to have a Pumpkin so of course my fiancé and I will go to a pumpkin patch pick out one or two have some friends come over and make a mess and carve out our pumpkins to set the occasion! Then of course you have to find the perfect costume, I have a bag of tricks. I have the typical Indian referee angel wings princess gypsy type of costumes, I try not to wear the same costume but sometimes you have to work with what you got and it's all about just having fun and being with good company and of course eating candy and watching scary movies. I love anything scary sci-fi thriller gory bloody, I'm that girl in the movie theater that will scream! At the end of the day whether I go somewhere or have the opportunity to dress up or if I can just give candy to passing trick-or-treaters as long as I'm with good friends and good company and have a scary movie to watch and a pumpkin in my window that's lit up I call it a good holiday. 
Being adopted and growing up in a white family was more then a family bond, it was a learning experience. It taught me to love everyone no matter what color their complexion was. To this day i keep that with me and love everyone, however I know some people still don’t see that. I was always picked on for being a different color then others. I would get those racism comments about being Indian, something smart about my parents, and when I didn’t have the confidence to say something back someone would try and want to fight me. People were always mean to me, especially in high school. It wasn’t till I was out of school and in college when I started learning to love myself for who I was. Today I can look back at those times when I was younger and laugh at everyone who ever once said something mean to me or tried putting me down. I know I’m not the only one that has been through diversity too. The other I had the chance to have a talk with my friend Alisa Reyes. You might know her for being on Disney’s The Proud Family and Nickelodeon’s All That.
Growing up with diversity and choosing to be an actor I went through my own sense of being bullied and picked on for not looking like what people think a certain ethnicity should look like. I have been called names that were racist and derogatory, at times I was treated differently than others because of the color of my skin. It took me a moment to finally embrace my beautiful olive complected skin and say hey guess what I could stay tan all year round when others pay to get tan or have to lay out in the sun LOL.
I think being an actor at such a young age and being of mixed decent was challenging I always came across having to deal with being offered the typical stereo type of rolls, thug, gangbanger, mom on drugs, ex addict, etc. But what I love about being an actor is I get to say yes or no to rolls. Granted I am a chameleon and God gave me the opportunity to be able to play any race to others being of diversity may have hindered them but for me it actually gave me a lot of opportunity. I call myself a chameleon I can be whatever anyone wants me to be that's what I always say to a director or producer or casting agent. I love and adore when people can see past the color of my skin or past my nationality! 
When I audition for things sometimes you're required to put down what your race is and I always leave that blank I'm not going to pigeonhole myself and I'm not going to make somebody judge me without even meeting me just by reading my ethnicity on a piece of paper. I like to be specific on the roles that I choose I like to make sure that they share a good storyline and that others can relate to them in conjunction I played all the typical rolls I listed above but they were my choice to play them and if I'm not feeling a roll I'll let my people know that and then onward and upward but at the end of the day it is just a roll and it doesn't define me at the end of the day I know who I am inside my soul and that's all that matters. And the only person that I care about in regards to what they think of me is God.

Thanks for reading everyone
Be sure to follow me following my dreams

Facebook & Instagram
Mahipal SoCal - @mahipal_socal

Comments

Popular Posts