It was enchanting to meet you.



I started to like fashion in high school, I saw what other people were wearing and the styles people had on those reality TV shows. I knew from watching The Hills that I wanted to get into Fashion PR. What got me to be in love with the Hollywood lifestyle was watching MTV. I loved everything they showed; it became my ritual after school to keep up with Nick & Jessica Newlyweds, Laguna Beach, Newport Harbor, and The Hills. I always asked myself, how were they all successful living out in LA? I wanted that lifestyle; get rich, buy a car, live in the hills, and drive down the Pacific Coast Highway. I wanted to be them, but at the same time I didn’t even know who I was.

When I was little I was always bouncing around from friends to friends. I never really had a set base group of friends, or even an identity for myself. I was a very shy person when I was in school and many times was bullied for never sticking up for myself. Today growing into the young gentleman that I am I have finally found myself, I have a better head on my shoulders, more respect for myself, and couldn’t really care for anyone’s thoughts about me. I don’t feel like the lost “boy” that I was anymore; I finally found my piece of mind and couldn’t be happier. And this wasn’t an overnight sensation. It was a lot of hard work day and night for over two years following my dreams to make it all the way from Wilkes-Barre, PA to become a celebrity fashion blogger out in Hollywood, CA.

 It was amazing, I did a 360 in life and changed who I was as a person and became who I wanted to be. But it wasn’t only from me, it came with a little help from other people. No matter who you are or where you’re from there are places and communities where you fit in. Mine soon became in New York City at New York City Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. Every season I am a part of this amazing event saying hi to good ole celebrity friends and introducing myself to fellow new ones. How we meet is something different and magical with all the madness around New York City Fashion Week. They soon become a part of my journey and road to Hollywood. Kelly Cutrone, Tommy Hilfiger, Leigh Lezark, Fern Mallis, Joe Jonas, Nigel Barker, Mickey Boardman, Eila Mell, and many more. Well you get the picture, these people are helping me toward my goal and the amazing part is it starts to become a reacting game as they’re learning from me and I’m learning from them.
           
            This leads me into a story of a girl I went to high school with, Chelsea Powell. Chelsea and I never really talked in high school. I was the shy one and kept to myself most of the time. But I recently spoke with her about her dreams of becoming a teacher and how her students are changing her. And her story of teaching is pretty incredible.

Chelsea went to Kutztown University for Secondary English Education and is graduating next month May 10. Her career is just taking off as a teacher, but how did she even get an interest for teaching?

 “As a child, I never felt like I was good at anything. I struggled finding a hobby that I truly enjoyed. It was not until my high school years that I took my first journalism class and I realized I had a passion for reading, writing and creating. From my love for journalism sparked my passion for English and my love for school. By my senior year, I thought teaching English would be the perfect route for me.
After my first student teaching placement, I knew I chose the right field. I was always so interested in helping students grow and connecting with others. When I taught 8th graders, I connected with them in ways I never thought I would. It is such an amazing feeling to watch a struggling student begin to progress just because you are showing them just an ounce of compassion and belief in them.
It is truly a remarkable experience to be such a huge part of student's life and I don't know if I'll ever fully understand the impact I can have on a child but I have always been so passionate to make a difference.
My biggest goal as an upcoming educator is to have my students understand the purpose of studying English and how frequently the techniques they read and/or learn can be used in the real word. The most rewarding feeling is connecting a novel or a poem to a real life situation that students can understand and seeing them begin to make their own connections. I can honestly say that I have learned just as much from my students as they have learned from me and that is what is so amazing about teaching. You are always educating but you are also always learning.”

            Finding what you want to do may take a while. For me it was watching Nick & Jessica Newlyweds, for Chelsea it was her very first journalism class. Deep down we all fit in somewhere. Following your dreams and chasing it takes a lot of work. But when you find it don’t ever let it go. We’re all aliens and exist in a world where people will tell you no but you have the power to show them that you exist with a voice. And remember, it’s the people that you meet along your journey that help and guide you toward your dreams that will change your life forever.

Thanks for reading everyone
Be sure to follow me chasing my dreams for more updates

Facebook & Instagram
Mahipal SoCal & @mahipal_socal

Comments

Popular Posts