Yellow Brick Road


If you have ever seen the Wizard of OZ, you know the story of Dorothy and her way to OZ. In a short summary my way to OZ was too meeting different characters and trying to figure things out. I was always stuck between what I wanted in life and where I wanted to go in life and both seemed not far from each other but very hard to find. From bouncing around with school activities, to hanging out with friends, watching hockey games, and not really giving a solid thought about my future, my life was up in the air. Around the end of high school everything was hitting me fast. Most of my graduating class was already getting accepted to schools and planning their educations.

For me, the route to go with a career in hockey and in real estate held my interest. I used to make phone calls to San Jose, Laguna, Clearwater, and other coastal neighborhoods just to reach out to local real estate agents in the area asking for advice on selling spreads. Every contact helped out but I gave up on that dream during one afternoon when I decided to apply to The Art Institute (even though to this day I still regret going to college because I feel *certain* degrees are pointless). I’ll explain another time, but my yellow brick road took a hold of blogging, photographing, reaching out to clients, lots of failing and succeeding, and more but it all led to me to where I am today as a New York Fashion Writer.

Another individual who took the yellow brick road to follow their dreams is Kate Musto from my hometown in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Here’s her story. “Ever since I could remember, fashion has had a huge impact on my life,” said Kate. “I would buy every fashion magazine and study the breath-taking models own the runway. I longed to be there taking in that energy. Fashion continues to influence me everyday and while I have chosen not to pursuit a career in fashion, it has led me to the path I now walk every day to become closer to making my dreams a reality. There is something very important that I have learned and it is that you are allowed to have more than one. When you finish school and are taking your first steps of possibility, society tells you that you need to choose what you want to do with your life now, and that you better stick with it or else. That’s just not true.”


“When I first started thinking about my future, I wanted more than anything to perform. I loved being on stage and feeling the electricity of live theatre run through me. So, I decided to go for that dream and was accepted into Temple University’s musical theatre program. A couple of months before my audition, I was diagnosed with pre nodules on my vocal chords (yes NODES are real). I was forced into strict vocal rest, meaning no talking and definitely no singing. I was utterly heartbroken for at least a year. It took some time but eventually I found my way at my local community college and discovered my love of acting for film. I did a couple of independent projects and graduated with a degree in general studies.”

“Still not fully recovered from the vocal mishap, I was unable to audition for a four-year school. Even if I was able to, there’s just no way would I be able to afford it in this chapter of my life. So I decided to pursuit my love of music and go back to school for that. I was given the opportunity to better myself in a different career choice and see where that takes me.”

“My goal as an actor was never to get famous, have a lot of money, or meet celebs. My goal as an actor is simple: I want to make people feel. I want to strike emotion and inspire others. If I can do that and help someone in the process by maybe bringing back humility and compassion in a world that truly needs it right now, then that would be incredible to me. That is what I have always aspired toward. I also have passion for music, and it took me while to figure out why. A few weeks ago, in one of my classes it hit me. My goal has never changed; I’ve had the same dream all along—to make people feel. Coming to that realization is so powerful, and just knowing that I hold this vision within me to make the world a better place through art—whether it be performance, music, or fashion—is simply awe inspiring and something that I will never take for granted. Everyone has the power to create change and leave their imprint on this world, just never doubt yourself and always follow your dreams.”

The road to your dreams may not always be paved in happy yellow bricks. They may come in pairs or quarters or they may not even come all together. It may take months or even years to figure out what you want and where you want to go. Your dream job may not be touchable or it may not even been created. Your destiny and what you want is out there. One day, some way you’ll find your way to OZ. It’s been inside you all along, waiting for its calling.

Thanks for reading everyone
Be sure to follow me following my dreams.

Facebook & Instagram
Mahipal SoCal - @mahipalsocal


Comments

Popular Posts