Following Your Dreams While Living A Broke Life


Today the most successful people are the ones with money. They live the extravagant lifestyle of vacation spots all over the world, fancy lunch and dinner parties, or even being invited to big super events. For a lot of them, being successful became easy. Whether it was money they inherited from older family members to following their dreams or just being born with the right last name. Following their dreams come natural and anything they want can be accomplished anytime at hand. They don’t really need a genie in a bottle for three wishes, any wish they ask for is their command.

When you don't have money life is usually “you get what you work for”. It’s usually those long days and nights of work or working overtime, paying off your bills, going to school and paying off your student loans, between times of hanging with your friends and the times when you can actually make yourself a dinner instead of takeout - life seems to be much harder when money is your main focus of survival.

We all have been there stuck where we felt our life isn’t going as planned. Where we run into a brick wall which makes us rethink all of our recent decisions we have made, we tend to think when will things become easier which gets us into the saddest of feelings. Everything is going out of control and the universe is hitting us out of nowhere. It happens to the best of us and every time, we are forced to keep moving forward.

It wasn't as hard to find the front door of the designers venue since it was pretty popular last time around. It was a cold Friday morning and the show was being held at the Artbeam for 12 in the afternoon. A venue where a lot of shows take place. Zimmermann was first on the list today, along with Sally LaPointe, Novis, a few others and an event concert by John Varvatos tonight at the Bowery. I was more excited about going to the concert since Bon Jovi was one of his previous artist last time, however it was unknown who would be there this season.

I walked into the venue and​ I felt like a dark horse playing with magic. While everyone else was standing around waiting to be seated or assisting others to their seats, I had an eye open for what was going to happen next. I made my way over to the press pit to relax before the chaos of editors were about to arrive. I put my bags down, removed my backpack, fixed my hair, smiled and looked around with thoughts in my head. I was happy to be here apart of this all and more importantly, to be at this showing for the upcoming season.  As I waited for Front of House I made my way around the floor.

There are a few things you should know about Front of House. Watch your words because you can’t take them back. Nobody cares who you are or what you do. And if you’re smarter than a Vogue editor, you are in. Front of House was my main focus today as I made my way around the floor. After everyone was settled in, the show began to start and ran for about 10 minutes. After the show was over I collected my belongings and was on my way out to another show. I was feeling pretty good after sitting in for a few shows an even grabbing a few drinks along the way at one.

I was leaving a show around the corner from Madison Square Garden and across the street of Penn Station when I made my way down the subway station. I had a ticket in my pocket but it was empty so I needed to refill it in order to get to Lincoln Center for a fast show before the concert. As I pulled the ticket out of my pocket along with my credit card I put both into the money machine I was standing in front of. There was no line to wait so luckily I was able to get in and get out, least I thought that was going to happen.

I came out of the subway station with tears in my eyes. I watched every man dressed in a pair of fancy shoes and wearing a fitted suit walk by thinking to myself - “That is what I want to be someday. I want to be the best fashion writer and blogger in the city and be able to walk the streets of the best city in the world just like that.” I stood in the center of Madison Square Garden thinking to myself and feeling how I let myself down. “It’s New York Fashion Week, I’m supposed to be going to shows, parties, events, I even have a concert tonight to go to! I shouldn't be upset or broke. Everything is going to be okay, right? No it won’t, how could everything be okay when I can’t buy a ten dollar ticket, I can’t even afford a two dollar soda!?”

There has been a lot of times where my life hasn't felt like it was going like I planned, but that hasn't stopped me at all from doing what I love doing. Whether it's with a significant other, work, school, or even not having enough money to finish my day at New York Fashion Week. Nothing will ever pull me down. It will only make me stronger and tougher. When you don't have money, you work for what you want a lot harder than the ones who do. Even if it’s one of the most important times of the year in the fashion industry. New York City Fashion Week.

You go to school, you work, you pay your bills, and you even wait for that sale to go on so you can afford that outfit that you want. it’s obvious you’re broke. Doing what you want while being broke - you understanding the meaning of hard work and it speaks volumes of just who you are. We all have our own definition of success and it’s not your job to live up to someone else’s ways. It’s your job to find your own path your way, even if it means short change for a subway ticket.

When you want something you go for it and you understand what that means. You get knocked down and you understand your habits, but you build right back up and you recover. You know what that means and you set yourself apart from the rest. Following your dreams while being broke definitely defines you because you keep your head above water and you look the other way.

Thanks for reading everyone
Be sure to follow me following my dreams

Facebook & Instagram
Mahipal SoCal - @mahipalsocal

Comments

Popular Posts