Walk With Attitude

Okay, don’t get the titled confusing; you aren’t going to see me “walking with attitude” down a runway, ever. The only time you’ll only see me walking down the runway is when I’m pacing down between rehearsals during fashion week in New York City trying to get the best shot before the show. However, it’s a good thing for models to walk with attitude, especially since it’s a tough industry to stay in. Here I am talking when Kelsey Graham can explain her whole story here about modeling and pursuing her dreams. But before she talks, let’s go back to this past season in New York City during fashion week. I was backstage for a show; I think it was Concept Korea where I met a model from London named Tom. There he was sitting by himself in a rich jacket, fancy boots, and high end jeans; and I was thinking to myself; he has it all. Little did I know, he would trade any job for his job right now. He started giving me an insight to his industry. Telling me how tough it is being a model; they use you, you never know when they need you, the payment is rough, and looks on your face matter. He even said if he could have any other job, he’d take it. I was shocked; I mean I never looked into what a model had to do, but it all made sense. You have to take care of yourself, some shows won’t pay you as much, you have to stay in certain shape to keep going or the next young catch will take your spot. I started telling him what I wanted to do. I told him my struggles of what I face every day as a fashion blogger. I go to school full time, I work, I make articles on my friends, and I do this so hopefully one day I can work in Los Angeles and New York City on my own. It’s tough. Sometimes I think my work isn’t even good enough and my pictures I take look unusual. Do people even read my blogs? There are times when I go months without any views or photo shoots, that’s when I feel my blog is slacking. When I feel it, I just pick up the pace with doing research and networking on other blogs. I told him no matter the struggle you’ll find what you love, you may not find it right away, but it’s there. Being a model is hard and you are your own manager and at times things will get rough. When they do, do some networking; call a company up that is looking for models, they may hire you, stay positive, be healthy, and always be smarter than the next model.
My love for fashion started with my older sister and watching her pick out outfits and get ready in the morning. I learned style tips from her like what colors go together and how to accessorize. I took art classes in high school and they helped me see what fabrics and textures go well with one another. As I was growing up I started to develop my own sense of style and as I dressed nicer I started to feel even better about myself. I decided to start pursuing my dream of working in the fashion industry so I got a job in retail at The Loft by Ann Taylor. It was a more refined style than mine and it really helped me branch out and experience other tastes in fashion. I became a guide to our clients to help them pick the right sizes and style them for different occasions. I started at The Loft in Brooklyn Heights then to the store next to Wall Street in NYC. After coming home from school I transferred to The Loft in PA, this really showed me how styles change and your location and culture really influence what kinds of things a person likes. It helped me to appreciate different fashion trends and looks. Making me a more rounded stylist and giving me more access to love different designers and their own twist on fashion. Fashion is a part of everyone’s daily life and I feel my love for it has changed my outlook on life.
Ever since I was a little girl my dream was to become a model. In my early teens I went to several casting calls and was either rejected or could not meet the requirements for the contract. I struggled with not being old enough to drive and needing a parent to always attend jobs or go-sees with me, with both parents working full time it was impossible. I decided I would put modeling on the back burner for a while and focus on other things. Once I turned 18 and had my own car I gave it another chance. I ended up getting signed with Wilhelmina Philadelphia and realized I still had a shot at making my big dreams come true. I still have many struggles with balancing work, school, and modeling. The business can be on the spot and last minute which makes getting jobs difficult with a packed schedule. Modeling has motivated me to take better care of my body and the things I eat since my body is a major component in booking jobs. I have a drive to look good and feel good and will push that to hopefully push my dreams and become a successful top model. Walking for top designers in runway shows would specifically be my main goal. Showcasing the clothing and the rush of walking on the runway is an extraordinary feeling. I have had such a confidence booster being in this industry and feeling special but starting out as a new model is difficult. No one knows who you are and you have no experiences so it’s really tough. Some challenges are getting you out there and networking. It takes a lot of time to get noticed or to meet the right people who can help you achieve your goals. I have found also that I have two tattoos that I got done before I was signed to Wilhelmina that also set me back, that takes away from me being a blank slate to work with or a preference issue.
I really love to model and my experiences have showed me this is what I would love to do for the rest of my life. I continue to practice and challenge myself to better market myself. I will continue to network and work my way in all the different directions of the industry. Hopefully obtaining my goals of being a top runway model and working in any aspect of fashion industry.



Thanks for reading everyone

Be sure to follow me chasing my dreams for more updates

Facebook & Instagram
Mahipal SoCal & @mahipal_socal

Comments

Popular Posts